Teen Invisalign in Annapolis, Bowie, Greenbelt & Crofton
Invisalign has revolutionized the teeth straightening process. Adults have reaped the benefits for over a decade. Now teenagers can enjoy the same advantages. That’s good news for parents and kids alike.
What’s so special about these aligners? First of all, they’re clear, which means no more embarrassing and uncomfortable metal brackets. Secondly, they’re removable, which makes wearing them and cleaning them easier.
In other words, Invisalign is ideal for teenagers who have to deal with busy lifestyles and constant social interaction. Although a surprising number of young people still prefer traditional braces, a growing number are realizing the benefits of removable trays. The result? More and more are opting for the less noticeable, less invasive alternative.
Clear Braces for Teens : How It Works
When you visit your local orthodontist to get fitted for metal braces, the doctor will affix them to the teeth using cement. Invisalign, on the other hand, requires no such semi-permanent attachment. Instead, it consists of clear aligners, or trays, that can be removed at any time.
How does it work exactly? It’s simple. The orthodontist makes physical or digital impressions of the teeth and then sends copies of those impressions to the manufacturer of Invisalign. The company then uses a computer program to determine the exact movement needed to correct your particular orthodontic problem. Finally, they’ll make a series of custom aligners designed to fit in your mouth. Once the aligners are finished, Invisalign will send them to Labbe Family Orthodontics, where Dr. Labbe can place them in your mouth to ensure a good fit.
Over the course of your treatment, you’ll receive a number of different removable aligners, each one designed to move the teeth a little more. Typically, patients change trays every week or so. That helps the teeth move gradually, but consistently. As long as you’re diligent about wearing your trays for at up to 22 hours per day, you can achieve a beautiful smile in the same time it takes to move teeth with metal braces.
The Benefits of Invisalign
Invisalign offers a number of advantages over metal braces. Those include:
- Easier Cleaning: Metal braces make regular cleaning difficult. You have to work around the brackets, wires, and cement bonding. That can make it difficult to maintain proper oral hygiene. It can also limit food choices. With Invisalign, you simply remove the trays when you eat and when you brush—so you can clean your teeth just as you normally would without braces. That also makes it easier to floss in between the teeth. At the end of the day, better oral care means better oral health.
- Less Pain and Discomfort: Metal braces can cause discomfort. In addition to moving the teeth, the metal pieces can cause irritation to the cheeks and gums. The occasional protruding wire and broken bracket can cause even more trouble. With Invisalign, you don’t have to worry about any of that.
- Transparency: It’s obvious when someone is wearing metal braces. Not so with Invisalign. They’re so transparent, it’s difficult to tell when someone is wearing them. While the sight of metal braces is common among teenagers, Invisalign makes it even easier to get through important (and awkward) social interactions without embarrassment.
Who Should Get Invisalign for Teens?
Invisalign used to be restricted to adults for at least two reasons. One, orthodontists weren’t sure whether teens would comply with the treatment plan, which requires wearing the trays for at least 22 hours per day. Secondly, sometimes permanent teeth are still growing in. Invisalign for teens solves both problems by including both a compliance indicator and “eruption tabs” for permanent teeth.
Think Invisalign might be right for you or your teen? Schedule an appointment to speak with Dr. Labbe. He’ll examine your mouth and tell you whether or not you’re a candidate for Invisalign. We’re a proud local orthodontic practice, serving Annapolis, Bowie, Crofton, and Greenbelt.
What Sets Us Apart
- Flexible Payment Plans
- Accepts Most Insurances
- Four Convenient Locations
- Invisalign Elite Preferred Provider
- Ensuring Pleasant & Informative Visits
- Attentive, Warm-Hearted Environment
- Accelerated Treatment Plans With Acceledent
- Expert Doctors Involved In All Critical Decisions